Hi Kocicak,

> So on JSF level conversion String <-> Object is unable to solve this
> problem - I simply need Object <-> Object conversion which is not
> supported yet.

Yes, this is true - this is obviously a spec problem.

If the submitted value is an object, it should also be allowed to
convert it. A converter is more than just a string to object (and
back) converter, it is an artefact which transforms information from
its representation for output (and this output could be anything, and
certainly doesn't have to be string based) to its representation which
the business model (or also an artefact within JSF, like a validator)
understands.

So I agree. This hasn't come up so far cause nobody uses non string
based output models for JSF.

Note that my notion of a business converter (discussed on this mailing
list a while ago) for converting between a business model
representation and a representation in a JSF artefact like the
renderer (e.g. you use joda.Date in the business model, but the JSF
date picker renderer only understands the normal java date) is also
hinting in the direction that such an additional converter API would
be necessary. I discussed this with the EG (and also Ed privately),
and there wasn't much interest for adding this.

best regards,

Martin

best regards,

Martin