Hi Martin

Yes, to solve the problem with t:inputCalendar and t:inputDate it was clear
an interface like that was necessary but it is tied to java.util.Date in
this case:

/**
 * Provide a bridge between the java.util.Date instance used by a component
 * that receive date/time values and the "business" value used to represent
 * the value.
*/
public interface DateBusinessConverter
{
    /**
     * Convert the java.util.Date instance calculated from submittedValue,
     * so the resulting object will be used later as the converted value
     * and validation.
     */
    public Object getBusinessValue(FacesContext context,
                       UIComponent component,
                       java.util.Date value);

    /**
     * Used to retrieve the value stored in the business bean and convert
     * it in a representation that the component (t:inputCalendar and
     * t:inputDate for example)using this class can manipulate.
     */
    public java.util.Date getDateValue(FacesContext context,
                       UIComponent component,
                       Object value);
}

This two components requires a date/time interface, and in this case the
choice was java.util.Date, to keep things simple, and to indicate that
internally, t:inputCalendar and t:inputDate only "understands"
java.util.Date for rendering.

best regards,

Leonardo