The description of apache labs is:

Apache Labs is a place for innovation where committers of the
foundation can experiment with new ideas.

This modified description of Apache Myfaces Incubator/labs/sandbox
would perfectly fit for MyFaces:

Apache MyFaces Labs is a place for innovation where committers of the
Apache MyFaces can experiment with new ideas.

I don't see any problem in using the word 'labs'. The word 'incubator'
has a special meaning in the Apache ecosystem.

Regards

Bernd