Ugh, just woke up for such an active thread...

Just to be correct: OpenJDK is under GPL with ClassPath Exception. Theoretically the Classpath Exception part allows that if you modify the classpath only, then you can distribute the JDK under any other license. This would allow us bundle a JDK with the NetBeans installer. Though Apache Legal has not listed GPL with Classpath Exception as a Category B license, so we can't do it.

Earlier I've hitchhiked a LEGAL issue for this, but I was asked to file another issue, so here it is: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-488

As of netbeans Debian package. It kind of hurts the brand mostly by being unmaintained. The current version can be installed, but it installs with Java 11 which we did not support at version 10. (Not mentioning that version 10 is unsupported), so the package installs, but you cannot do any real Java work with it as it does not able to parse the Java sources. With all the uncontrolled externalized library dependencies it is just a Pandora's Box.