On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 01:13, Laszlo Kishalmi <laszlo.kisha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you think about stopping support Java 8 as NetBeans runtime from
> 12.1 and on? ..  Neil mentioned it in the user's chat first regarding that we
> have issues
> with nb-javac from time to time.

Thanks for kicking this off! I would say +1 with caveats.

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 07:46, Jan Lahoda <lah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> -I know some people that have NetBeans platform application, and target JDK
> 8. I hope they'll comment here.
> -regarding JDK 11 and (nb-)javac - while the Java editing using JDK 11's
> javac is possible, I think it still leaves a lot to be desired

I'm not sure we should drop support for running on JDK 8 entirely with
12.1, including for the platform, but maybe something to consider for
13.1.

But it would be good from 12.1 to make running on Java 11+ considered
the baseline for the IDE, particularly for Java editing, and move
nb-javac to be far more opt-in than opt-out - a legacy feature.

I don't think it's good or sustainable (from an ASF position) that
enabling Java editing automatically installs nb-javac and JavaFX
unless the user opts out, and without information on what opting out
entails.  And we should remove the persistent notifications to
install.  Ideally the wizards that require JavaFX would also be
removed at the same time.

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 07:59, Geertjan Wielenga <geert...@apache.org> wrote:
> I think we may be a bit too eager to drop JDK 8. :-) Bear in mind that
> would leave us supporting only one LTS release of the JDK, i.e., JDK 11.

Our LTS supporting JDK 8 will last until shortly before the next Java
LTS is released though.  And hopefully with changes in update centres
and infrastructure we're better placed to deliver patch updates for
12.0 if needed.