On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 at 20:23, Michael Bien <mbie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> since 17.0.2 was just released I wondered if the release timing could be
> adjusted a little in future so that we can add the latest javac to NB.
> (esp once auto-nb-javac is up and running)
>
> JDK updates can happen in the months 1, 4, 7, 10. GA happen in 3 or 9.
>
> NB schedule is 2, 5, 8, 11. So all we have to do is feature feeze a week
> later and we can grab the latest javac if my calculations are correct :)

The schedule was initially written with JDK releases in mind.
Originally it was a month earlier all around, so 4 and 10, with the
aim of tying release candidates, and testing of them, to JDK releases.
Aside from the fact that no-one wanted to do releases over Xmas and
New Year for some reason(!), another reason for pushing back a month
was because nb-javac was never ready on time.  When the schedule was
originally written, there was more of a plan to move away from it.

We could shift around again, certainly, if we need to.  But automatic
or not, nb-java scheduling and releasing is still not in our control
anyway.  Also, kind of by definition, it's not a feature release.
IMO, whether it's before or after our feature freeze, the assessment
should be on whether it has fixes we want to pick up?  The risk vs
benefit questions are similar whether it lands just before rc1 or rc2?

> (or we ignore all this and release an update via plugin portal?)

It would be via the distribution update centre rather than plugin
portal, which is a little convoluted a process right now, but doable.
Easing release updates is something else that could be worth putting
time into.