On 11.01.23 12:03, Neil C Smith wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2023 at 19:28, László Kishalmi <laszlo.kisha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, I think we can remove the CV for Java 8.
Probably the only Java 8 thing we shall do is make sure that the platform
sources can be compiled and tested on Java 8.
As and until we replace the (as we both said, conservative!) step
forward agreed for NB13* then I'd prefer we only temporarily disable
the CV test for JDK 8 to get this PR merged for freeze.

We could also leave it in the matrix and just skip ValidateModulesTest on JDK 8.

Or we drop it from the matrix but run CV on JDK 8 in the NB VSCode job (if at all possible) which isn't using the modules in question anyway since they require JDK 11.

   If no-one
else does, I'll try and look at fixing the way the dependencies are
handled in the linked PR to get the test to pass before we move to
release.

usually in threads like this someone is always asking if it takes any extra dev time to maintain JDK 8 compatibility. Lets mark this point for future reference :)

Yes, the sooner we can update what was agreed for NB13, the better.

yep, the sooner the better, the current situation is not optimal.

-mbien

But that requires notice (so not NB17, and possibly not NB18), a new
lazy consensus proposal, and no vetoes!

* https://lists.apache.org/thread/rcfv7vgrz6byb2y1pjpv4894xh7p96d2