On 2/5/23 10:56, Neil C Smith wrote:
On Sun, 5 Feb 2023 at 17:28, Laszlo Kishalmi <laszlo.kisha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've read this at least 4 times, now I hope I understand the most of it.
I'm one of the weaker minds...
Or I'm one of the too verbose ones! :-)

Thanks for your comments - some responses inline, mainly clarifications.

We are/can talking about different topics when we mention JDK Support.

1. Java IDE Source Editing Support, I know this is not what we are
talking about here, but when people reads on NetBeans JDK Support this
is what pops in their mind first.  So any announcements we put out
should mention, that this won't change. (AFAIK, we are good from Java 5
- Java 19/20?)
Agreed!  We have that problem with reported issues now though.  At
least when the IDE *refuses* to run on JDK 8 this might get easier to
explain.

But, definitely good communication needed here that project JDK
support is not directly affected by this proposal.  *However*, we may
need to consider the lowest JDK supported by nb-javac too.

2. NetBeans Platform Source and Runtime JDK compatibility. If I remember
well we kept that on Java 8
2. NetBeans Platform Source and Runtime JDK, is planned to be increased
to Java 11 with NetBeans 19, that would be fine, and it would be good to
announce that with NetBeans 17 and 18, 19 releases.
Yes, we kept the ability to run the platform, and most of the IDE, on
JDK 8.  Most modules are compiled against --release 8

My thought is to bump up the default value of
OpenIDE-Module-Java-Dependencies to JDK 11 from NetBeans 19, and
compile by default against --release 11.

3. NetBeans IDE Source and Runtime JDK. This is a more open ended here.
I think most of us won't have the problem raising the source/runtime
level mandatory all across the modules to Java 11. Though LTS-1 could be
a question as with Java 21 LTS (is that confirmed?), by NetBeans 19,
Java 11 would be LTS-2. Should that mean, that NetBeans 19 would be
compiled with Java 17, with mandatory source level of Java 11 and IDE
modules can opt-in Java 17? Or should that be NetBeans 20?
JDK 21 is LTS according to eg.
https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/java-se-support-roadmap.html
with new two year cadence.

Our first release after JDK 21 will be NetBeans 20.

I realise saying LTS-1, LTS and current might be confusing terminology
there?  Maybe current JDK plus last two LTS JDK?   I'm suggesting we
limit ourselves to only ever supporting 3 JDKs at a time.

So -

NetBeans 20 and 21 - JDK 11, JDK 17 and JDK 21.
NetBeans 22 - JDK 17, JDK 21 and JDK 22.

That makes NetBeans 22 where we would next bump the base JDK for build
and runtime for all modules - default OpenIDE-Module-Java-Dependencies
is JDK 17, --release 17.

We could require compiling on JDK 17 before then, to allow opt-in
modules, but do we need the extra complexity?  Is there a known
requirement or is it hypothetical?

I do not think that there would be a requirement for using Java 17, at least not a hard one.

Though after Java 8, Java 11 is just came out of the woods, many language goodies are in Java 17.

What I'm thinking of is many swing stuff got a few constructors protected, that could affect us (I hope not). Though that would happen when we switch to --release 17.