On 14.02.23 05:11, Ernie Rael wrote:
On 23/02/05 11:31 AM, Michael Bien wrote:

NB 16/17 ships nb-javac which is based on JDK 19. Which means the minimum bytecode level is 7 already. Once nb-javac updates to 20 that number would be 8. (JDK 14 dropped support for 6, 20 dropped support for 7,

The link Neil gave

https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/java-se-support-roadmap.html

may provide some insight into when JDK drops support (or it could be coincidence) for a bytecode level.

right. That is the reason I said I believed it to be highly unlikely that javac would drop support for 8 before the LTS for 8 ends - so we luckily don't have to worry about this aspect when updating nb-javac to the current version which NB has to do periodically to support current Java in the editor.

(which means nobody has to fear NB would have to drop support for Java 8 in-the-editor any time soon)

That page indicates Extended Support for JDK-7 ended in 2022 and the first release of 2023, JDK-20, dropped support for JDK-7.

Once thing curious is that Extended Support for JDK-8 ends in 2030, which is/after/  Extended Support ends for both JDK-11 and JDK-17.

yes this is intended. I don't think anyone will try the JDK 8 experiment again. Java releases are more frequent, smaller and overlapping LTS releases happen more often which makes migration much easier within a project's lifetime.

JDK maintainers looked at python 3 and then looked back at JDK 8 and probably thought: we nearly got hit by the same issue, we are just super lucky that everyone valued compatibility so high.

There were some good blog posts about this from back when the new release model got introduced, but I somehow can't find them right now - search engines are either getting worse or I just get worse at using them.

It is also worth watching one of Mark Reinhold's older presentations about the 11+ release model for more context (most will probably already have seen it since he went on conference-world-tour with that :)).

-mbien

-ernie