On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 at 15:49, Matthias Bläsing
<mblaes...@doppel-helix.eu.invalid> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, dem 02.04.2023 um 15:38 +0200 schrieb Jaroslav Tulach:
> > > It also becomes increasingly difficult to
> > > motivate myself to fix JDK 8 issues in my freetime.
> >
> > I can imagine that. However we are not coding NetBeans to please ourselves,
> > but to please our users.
>
> These users won't benefit from developers leaving NetBeans development,
> because they don't want to code for the past. That is the other side of
> the coin. At least I'm pondering if that might be a good idea.

This!  We are not pleasing our users by making promises we cannot
maintain, or driving people away from contributing.

Yes, I'm in this to please myself as well as to please users.  They're
both important reasons to me why I contribute to open source projects.

The vast majority of our users are IDE users.  I'm not sure telling
them we cannot support features or fix issues because of the amount of
work required to maintain JDK 8 compatibility in an application that
no longer officially supports it actually counts as pleasing them!

> Which Platform users need JDK 8 support and why can't they just stay on
> (for example) NetBeans 17?

And this!  I'm a platform user too, and quite focused on the needs of
platform developers in this process.  I've reached out to a few others
on this and pointed them to this thread, and I hope others (Geertjan?)
might have too.  I saw Rangi also commented here.

No-one else has yet mentioned a need to maintain ongoing JDK 8 support
for them, nor given any reason to.