On 13.02.23 20:06, Jaroslav Tulach wrote:
Thank you for the pointers Michael.

This means we need either 1) a volunteer who would like to spend time
and fix JDK 8 tests,
OK, tell me what to do.
as recap:

this thread was started to notify that a JDK 8 issue was blocking a
fairly big Jakarta EE PR (#4692) which made only sense under JDK 11
anyway.
Are you saying `enterprise` cluster requires JDK 11 and cannot run on JDK 8?

the Jakarta EE 10 modules require JDK 11, you can see it in Neil's commit:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/4692/commits/e6d965f2010d56ecc72f4b968b909bd88ccadefd

The next update of maven-indexer will require JDK 11 too, we can delay this still a bit further but this gonna have to happen sooner or later. It will also give us shiny features like parallel index extraction for free.

Another module which requires JDK 11 is "java.disco", the java discovery/download service. The reason there too, was not because we wanted to use Java-11-the-language, but because the dependencies were only available on 11.

With Spring on 17, JEE on 21 next year (yey virtual threads!) and even android is adding Java 11 APIs now (with sloth-speed), this will become more common.

I am not able to find the blocker...

blocker was that the CV tests failed on 8 and despite some module manifest-fu, only Neil could find the right combination (with his magic hands) of settings to make everything work - just in time for the deadline.

"NetBeans Platform" - e.g. if you want to drop support for old JDKs in
`enterprise` cluster - be it! It is (and always has been) a "user facing"
cluster anyway.

yeah. Dependent on how the 'target' in "Jakarta EE 11 targets Java 21"[1] will be interpreted by vendors, the enterprise cluster might be the cluster with the largest jump some time next year (although some of it will already require 11, so the jump just became smaller).

we have some umbrella issues here for example where contributions are
welcome:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/4904

see also 'priority:high' label for more,
The issue says "Many tests fail on JDK 11" - how does that compare to JDK 8?

well. You mostly see this while trying to fix them. It always requires extra work to keep supporting 8 too.

JDK 9 also provides a replacement for the finalizer mechanism (deprecated for removal) which we can't use #5440 - extra steps everywhere.

I am a guy who cares about compatibility (of NetBeans): Please tell me if
there is a test that doesn't work on JDK 8 and needs to be fixed.

With every new JDK release it will become more difficult to keep supporting JDK 8 as runtime. It also becomes increasingly difficult to motivate myself to fix JDK 8 issues in my freetime. If I see PRs which fix edge cases in java-version parsing code which could be already solved by simply using the JDK 11 API for it, I am just asking myself: why are we doing this? It is not one thing which is the problem, its a million paper cuts.

-mbien

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/lists/jakartaee-platform-dev/msg03898.html