Thank you for your reply Neil.

> > > I hope everyone recovered from the last JDK 8 thread and is ready for
> > > the first JDK 8 thread of 2023 :)
> >
> > Nobody recovers from these threads with you guys without wounds.
> >
> > -1 (I mean veto) on dropping JDK 8 support.
>
> If this were a lazy consensus thread, and we're not there yet, I'd
> expect a -1

As you probably know, I am not participating in day-to-day development of
NetBeans. It may happen I miss the vote thread - technically it might be
presented as my mistake, but in reality it would be an obstruction, because
everyone of you shall know:

I am voting against dropping support for JDK 8.

At any vote you ever call - even if I miss it. Please be so nice and make sure
I know that a vote is about to happen. Otherwise I will challenge that vote at
Apache authorities.

> to cover a lot more about an alternative way forward,
> addressing the resource issues, testing capacity constraints, peoples'
> time, priorities in supporting JDK 21+, release headaches, etc.

That's what I have been providing to you for the last three years (at least).
You were never listening to me. Whenever I tried to move NetBeans IDE forward,
while keeping the wide usability of NetBeans Platform, you said no.

Well, it is my turn now. I am saying no to "blind" dropping of JDK 8 support.

> I hope we can find a consensus way forward on all that, but if not we
> end up with a majority vote on the issue.

I certainly hope we find a consensus. That was always the goal behind all my
proposals in the last few years.

Threatening with a "non-veto" vote on a code issue is a bit nasty, but I can
live with it. Just keep me informed, so I can mobilize supporters.

> And soon we'll end up with 8, 11, 17, 21 and 22-ea.  That does not
> feel sustainable.

Why not? It is a machine doing the testing and it runs "for free". Anyway if
you want to simplify the matrix - then drop 11 or 17 or 21 - they are all the
same anyway. The the important thing is the bottom and then whether it shall
be JDK8 or not!

Let the negotiations begin!
-jt