On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 at 09:15, Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.invalid> wrote:
> Java11 is not as much used in the industry, it was kind of totally ignored by
> some companies and bigger projects. It also imo doesn't bring that much of a
> benefit for the code base. Plus the eco system is rather slowly moving. There
> are still too many Java 8 projects actively being used and maintained in the
> industry. And we still have Android as was mentioned.

Can you just clarify - as I understand it we are talking about the JDK
needed to build and run Netbeans. I can then use NB to develop a
project which needs a different JDK e.g. Java 8.
Neil (I think) said the earliest JDK I could use for a project depends
on the availability of nb-javac for that platform, is that right? Who
is in charge of that decision, is it Apache?

I can see why a company deploying an application would want to stick
with the Java version they have validated in production but does that
also apply to what is running on the developers' own machines? (I have
no experience of this in industry)

Sorry if this is obvious, I thought I'd got it and then became a
little confused with some of the responses here.

Peter