On Mar 9, 2018 18:16, "Neil C Smith" <neilcsm...@apache.org> wrote:

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 at 22:31 Matthias Bläsing <mblaes...@doppel-helix.eu>
wrote:

> Oracle is still committed to Swing and AWT to at least 2026. There is
> no mention of removing it.
>
> So we should keep calm.

Calm is good :-)

Still, that particular date is just talking about the end of commercial
support for Java SE 11 isn't it?  Unless I missed something, there isn't
anything about what happens in Java SE 12, which is only ~12 months away.

Exactly, and my original email didn't suggest freaking out. It did suggest
we need to be aware of what this means, and decide how to make sure we can
support "the" core dependency besides Java at this point. Does it mean
other tech, or does it mean getting more involved?

At a minimum the messaging for FX is that it didn't take off, and it has a
niche following, and mobile first and web technology has offset its
original goals.

Given that, other than some developer tools and "niche" applications, who
is using Swing? It's a rhetorical question.

Many today, I suppose most, think apps should be mobile or web, and unless
in the various markets, that have value for applications which aren't web
applications, but not as consumer visible, would think such things are
niche, even though that's a pretty big niche, and apparently an oxymoron,
if one takes the different technologies used to build installed desktop
apps including Qt, .Net, Electron (Slack or VS Code anyone), Natives,
Eclipse, others, and of course Swing (NB RCP) and Java FX along with their
domains/applicable use cases.

Maybe nothing near term to worry about, but I think without other
involvement, AWT & Swing are being looked at for something. This is also in
that document:

"Oracle has begun conversations with interested parties in the Java
ecosystem on the stewardship of JavaFX, Swing and AWT beyond the above
referenced timeframes."

Does anyone know Who? How? Terms? Or, how can we get involved?

Thanks

Wade