On Mar 11, 2018, at 7:38 PM, Chuck Davis <cjgun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That white paper says to me jdk11 is the end of the road for JSE at
> Oracle.  Without Swing/JavaFX I can't think of a single reason to have JSE
> on a computer.

Maybe, but all the more reason for the stewards they mention. One can certainly
run servers and services as Java applications on those systems too. But, yes,
not directly making any money for Oracle. But SMBs can definitely make money
off these things, and if the community wants to keep this stuff going, then
they’ll have to chip in on the bits they care about. This was the main point of
my writing in the first place; to figure out what we can do to support it. I
imagine JetBrains will be involved as well. They are very dependent with their
current products.

> The message of the white paper was clear: both Apple and Microsoft own
> their platforms and the day is not too distant when both will exclude Java
> from running on their platform.  Apple already stopped shipping Java.

“Exclude” seems overkill considering other environments/runtimes exist on both;
Node, Qt, Rust, Go, etc.. .Net even exists on Mac. Them not shipping something
directly is not the same as exclude.

> The message is clear:  migrate to .net for windows or swift for mac.  Java
> will only be running on Linux in the near future and that market is not big
> enough to be attractive to Oracle.  There will be no more cross-platform
> Java (or anything else) development.  Browsers will continue to be
> available on all platforms -- if you want to play on somebody else's
> platform you will abide by their rules.

The browsers everyone is using on those platforms are not written in the
languages you mention, so I don’t see that as the show stopper.

> It is a sad day but, admittedly, exclusivity is not a new idea to either
> Apple or Microsoft.
>
> What is the remedy?  Make alternatives so attractive IT managers will
> CHOOSE to leave either MS or Apple for the alternative.

I don’t see that as a goal of the NB community, and it certainly doesn’t do
anything for all the consumer devices. I do think we can help support desktop
Java since we highly depend on it.

Wade

Wade Chandler
e: cons...@wadechandler.com