On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 20:21:17 +0200
Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com.INVALID> wrote:

> I think the main problem we're trying to solve with the -vc tag is
> this: what happens when we start a vote thread and the vote fails for
> some reason? Then we need to make a new voting candidate and start a
> new vote thread. How do we name these artefacts, i.e., how do we
> distinguish between them?

Per Apache documentation, you create a new release candidate.
https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#ReleaseCandidate

Why some projects have multiple rc* without an actual release. It
likely has not passed that process yet.

> If you have advice here, in a way that would solve this for us, as
> well as you, that would be wonderful. Ideally, just leave the
> exasperation aside (for which we apologize) and just explain how we
> can solve this, and we'll do it.

Just like other projects, use RC for a release candidate. Vote on that,
and increment RC as necessary till a vote passes. Once a vote
passes. Then you re-tag for a release without RC. I feel its standard
for most any project Apache or not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Release_candidate

They just omit any reference to Voting in Wikipedia, as it is likely
less standard. Not all software is released after a vote.

> FYI, the question "Who at Apache can I contact to get this resolved?"
> is always going to be "Start a new proposal on the dev mailing list
> and discuss your ideas, reach a consensus, and in a worst case
> scenario, we'll vote on it."

Seemed it was mentors who were imposing this -vc, not the community.
Thus I was asking which mentors, or how to contact them to discuss it
directly. It seems mentors are misleading on project direction
regarding release process and tagging.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.