On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 10:41 AM Neil C Smith <neilcsm...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...assuming we don't release any more rc's! ..

I haven't followed discussions about whether more RCs will be released
or not, so maybe this is not relevant but I just thought about how
other projects generally handle this.

It is common to have a pattern of unstable vs. stable version numbers,
so what's currently released as Release Candidates might use a
specific number scheme, like odd release numbers, and later move to an
even release number when the module is considered stable.

So version 11.x would be considered "unstable", meant to be used for
testing/beta purposes only, and version 12 is the same thing
functionally but considered stable. If there's a pattern, NetBeans can
even warn users in its splash screen if running an unstable version.

Just my two cents, again maybe this has been discussed already and I
missed it - but I think this is a common and convenient pattern.

-Bertrand