On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 10:17, Mark Phipps <mark.phi...@sucfin.com> wrote:
> It is NBI for several reasons:

Thanks.  Some thoughts inline.

> 1. afaik it's the way that NetBeans IDE up to 8.2 was installed - why
> can't it be used for 10.0, 11.0 ....?

It relies on the user already having a JRE/JDK installed, or bundling
one inside.  As an Apache project, as things currently stand, we can't
bundle the JDK.  We could potentially provide a more user-friendly
installer that provides an optional step to download a JRE/JDK to run
against, but at least that part of the installer can't be in Java for
obvious reasons.

> 2. part of the NB code base

Personally I think there are pros and cons to that.  I'm shipping an
application that is still NB8.2 based at the moment, but already moved
away from NBI for other reasons.  There are currently better featured
alternatives around, so another question is whether improving
NetBean's own solution or improving integration with third-party
solutions is a better use of our resources?

> 3. baked into Ant - right click on an Ant-based NB Platform project and
> choose "Generate installers...."
> 4. baked into the nbm-maven plugin. I have invested a huge amount of
> time and effort working out how to tune the generation of installers
> from our maven/ant build system.
> 5. therefore all runs on linux, don't need Windows to generate a Windows
> (or Mac) installer.

Your requirements are very similar to my own there.  It's certainly
feasible to use InnoSetup on Linux and integrate into an automated
build pipeline.  It does require executing via the Wine libraries, but
it's fairly easy to set up in Ant, can be run as part of Travis, etc.

This is not specifically an argument in favour of InnoSetup - there
are other options that work cross-platform too, and may remove Wine
requirements, but it's the one that met my own RCP needs the best.

> I don't want to use yet another technology like Innosetup (good as it
> may be), because I don't run any of my build pipeline on Windows. I
> don't want to learn Pascal scripting either.

Neither do I, and haven't needed to resort to Pascal scripting as yet!
:-)  I think we could even manage the JDK download and integration
without scripting it, but need to read up more on that.  Certainly a
standard RCP with straight bundling can be done without any Pascal.

Best wishes,

Neil