Edgardo,

You are correct that proper handling of pull requests is an important
mechanism for the health of the community, bringing along new
committers, and for adding benefit to the application. We've been
flagging this as an important item to track and focus on in our
quarterly board reports for the past six months.  Frankly, I am
extremely proud of the community and how much effort it puts into
working with new and frequent contributors alike.  This tweet and the
response to it are things I think are wonderful examples of how this
community is doing.

  https://twitter.com/ktseytlin/status/786656997978419200
  https://twitter.com/DanRosanova/status/786759566809702401

It is important though to also take a closer look at what is behind
those PRs.  As you mentioned main nifi developers and community
engagement keep in mind that on a very conservative basis over more
than 50 of those presently outstanding 77 PRs are from regular
community contributors.  The NiFi community follows a 'review then
commit' model which means that no matter whether you're a new
contributor or whether you're a PMC member and have been working on
the project for more than 10 years your contributions go through the
same process of peer review.  In the past twelve months we have had
about 92 different contributors and the month over month curve for
unique contributors is growing.  Therefore, it is going to be
increasingly important we have a good community driven process in
place.

You brought up a couple of good points about the nature of the pull
requests and I'll add some others.  All of which we need to discuss
and track over time.
1) They could be stalled by the originator
2) They could be stalled by license issues (very common)
3) They could be slowed by lacking alignment to a JIRA
4) We should consider some age-based kick out mechanism
5) Some PRs require far more testing than others and that could even
include testing which requires money
...and there are other considerations.

Some other important data points to keep in mind.  In my opinion the
number of open pull requests is an indicator worth observing but there
are other indicators that are stronger.  I just checked a few popular
open source projects in terms of unique contributors to see their
outstanding PR counts:

Apache Spark = 472
Apache Kafka = 275
Apache Storm = 125
Apache Flink = 143

There are also some examples of really awesome communities that have
been around for quite a while and have gotten the PR submission/review
game down solid, HBase for example.  We should and do look to them for
examples of what we can be doing to get better.

This community, like all apache way governed communities, is a
reflection of what each of us puts into it.  I am confident this
community puts a great deal of effort and emphasis into honoring and
encouraging contributors new and old and is working to improve that
even more.

Thanks
Joe