I will do a PR to your branch and repo, but will you create a branch and put your changes on it? The branch should be called something like feature/sphinx-docs.

If you do that, I can do PR directly to that branch. Having it on a branch other than master will make it easier to submit later, if people want it to go into the main incubator-nuttx repo.

Re: should we do work on it without a vote? I don't know, I'm not a PPMC member either and don't know the process. Since we're discussing here on the list in public, I am hoping that if we're going the wrong direction, someone will say something to guide us the right way. I think doing some work on a public branch that gets rendered to Read The Docs would help right now, so people can see the source code and the rendered docs and make a decision based on that. Taking a vote without having some sample docs to look at doesn't seem optimal.

My inclination would be to get one HTML page completed, one regular README, and one or two board READMEs done and working– that will give people a better idea if this is going in the right direction.
I hope that people understand that after you modify the HTML documentation, you own it.  I will no longer be maintaining the documentation.