On Fri, May 19, 2023, 3:23 PM Tomek CEDRO <to...@cedro.info> wrote:

> I am thinking about this. "If it works don't fix it" comes to my mind.
>
> Current build system is amazingly simple coherent and fast. Building
> firmware takes 17 seconds. Why change it?
>
> Such change will flip everything upside down. Adds lots of work and
> even more possible problems.
>
> What would be the real benefit?
>
> How would it improve that 17 seconds?
>
> I think the practical presentation and comparison of results (i.e. ide
> integration, ci automation) along with numbers (i.e. build time) needs
> to take place before making any decisions.
>
> --
> CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, http://www.tomek.cedro.info

I very much disagree. The current build system is much slower with a ton of
boilerplate that is difficult to maintain and make cross platform. Are we
building an RTOS or reinventing the modern build tools?

Infact I have pull requests unmerged because the hacks we have in place
break and I have very little interest in tacking on even more hacks when we
could just not worry about it with cmake.

I would encourage those that thing this complicates things to actually look
at the pull requests for cmake and see how much cleaner it is.

--Brennan