On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 12:53 PM Gregory Nutt <spudan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/19/2023 10:25 AM, Lwazi Dube wrote:
> > Alan,
> >
> > Can you summarize? I have not been following this PR. Is make going away?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Lwazi
> >
> > On Fri, 19 May 2023 at 11:47, Alan C. Assis <acas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Everyone,
> >>
> >> While PR #6718 is waiting to get merged, please take a look:
> >>
> >> https://makefiletutorial.com
> >>
> >> BR,
> >>
> >> Alan
>
> The decision to switch from GNU Make to CMake is highly controversial.
> Many people are wildly in favor and a large number are strong opposed.
> This is a change that must be brought before the PMC for a vote before
> any action is taken.
>
> Special rules apply to code change votes.  We don't often do votes on
> code changes.  But such votes are critical in order to serve the
> community with fairness.

I'm neutral regarding CMake but *if* the project wants to think about a
switch, I do think that we should consider very carefully the pros and
cons, and think about any disruption that might affect users.

If we want to consider supporting both GNU Make and CMake, then we should
consider the benefits against the added maintenance burden and possible
different behaviors that could occur because of inconsistencies between the
two systems. I am usually opposed to spreading our limited resources thin
over redundant systems.

Nevertheless I am neutral and happy for the project to choose whatever is
best, as long as we can reach a useful consensus as a community.

Note that work began on CMake support in PRs such as 3704 and 6718. If the
community is interested in CMake support, we shouldn't throw away that work.

Cheers,
Nathan