On Sat, May 20, 2023 at 2:12 AM Brennan Ashton wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2023, 3:23 PM Tomek CEDRO wrote:
> > I am thinking about this. "If it works don't fix it" comes to my mind.
> > Current build system is amazingly simple coherent and fast. Building
> > firmware takes 17 seconds. Why change it?
> > Such change will flip everything upside down. Adds lots of work and
> > even more possible problems.
> > What would be the real benefit?
> > How would it improve that 17 seconds?
> > I think the practical presentation and comparison of results (i.e. ide
> > integration, ci automation) along with numbers (i.e. build time) needs
> > to take place before making any decisions.
>
> I very much disagree. The current build system is much slower with a ton of
> boilerplate that is difficult to maintain and make cross platform. Are we
> building an RTOS or reinventing the modern build tools?
>
> Infact I have pull requests unmerged because the hacks we have in place
> break and I have very little interest in tacking on even more hacks when we
> could just not worry about it with cmake.
>
> I would encourage those that thing this complicates things to actually look
> at the pull requests for cmake and see how much cleaner it is.

Thanks Brennan, this is a solid pro for cmake, we need to create
detailed list pros and cons, verify in practice, to get better proof
based RFC analysis.

I can see that this decision will be quite controversial and it cannot
lead to any more split in the community.

I have created a simple page at CWIKI with an initial list of impacts,
pros, cons. Please update folks. I have updated Proposals name to
NuttX RFC Proposals. Big changes like that can be processed that way
as RFC and documented on cwiki.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NUTTX/NuttX+RFC+0004%3A+Add+CMake+build+system