Jonathon,

You are missing the whole legal obstacle.

Given the IP clearances necessary in all of those wonderful legal links
that David provided, your rag tag team's collaborative contributions
cannot be submitted to Apache OFBiz and be accepted into the project in
the form that they're likely to be offered.

Any collaborative efforts on the ofbiz-sandbox project on
Sourceforge.net do not clear the IP hurdles.  As far as the discussion
surrounding the anon checkout process, that did not clear the IP
hurdles.  The manner in which the Developer's conference has been
proposed, does not clear the IP hurdles.  OFBiz itself did not clear
the IP hurdle.

David,

IP law in America is insufficient to provide documented references so
everything regarding it has to do with the concepts that surround it
instead of actual legislation or clear case law.  Do a google search
for Intellectual Property Bankruptcy Case Law and you will see some
staggering rulings.

A few legal concepts, IANAL

See Joint authorship and Ownership
http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jan/1/241478.html

Every person who writes code (not under contract) owns the copyright of
what they write, this is because each individual is a sole-proprietor.

When you collaborate with someone, you own the copyright for the
portion you write, and the other person owns the copyright for the
portion they write.  The problem occurs that the partnership between
the two of you owns the copyright for the work as a whole.

Now, what's the big deal?

The findlaw link only refers to the assets, not the liabilities.
Say one of these partners goes to a client and says "So and So and me
worked on this part of the code and I guarantee that it works."  The
source code says plain as day "No guarantees".  However, because one of
the partners guaranteed it, the partnership has guaranteed it.  The
members of the partnership are now jointly and SEVERELY liable for the
fulfillment of that guarantee.  The person spouting out guarantees has
overstepped his authority in making the guarantee, but that only makes
him liable to his partners as it's not fraudulent.   The partnership is
still liable to the bad partner's client.    Again, both jointly and
SEVERELY.

How does this likely affect Apache?  Likely only distribution will be
affected, not financial.  If it's found that the code is owned by the
partnership and there is some IP problem arising in that partnership,
Apache can be served a cease and desist order and will need to pull
that contribution out by it's root as well as any derivative of that
contribution.  No big deal, we can code around contributions. However,
Apache then cannot make previous revisions available through SVN
either. With jars this isn't a big problem, however the manner in which
OFBiz is written with it's components and services, and the largest
likely contribution not being in jar format, it is a HUGE problem.

If this is simply not a problem that can be solved in Apache, fine, I
accept that and we'll just have to live with either keeping our
collaborative contributions out of Apache OFBiz source, live with
limits of JIRA and the time and expertise (though limited :-)
)constraints of the committers or continue to accept the risk of
including these contributions in OFBiz source.

There are at least five separate groups of community members (including
one that you're involved with) vocally trying to collaborate on
solutions that are beneficial to the OFBiz community at large that if
allowed to their own devices will create great contributions that no
one can benefit from without obtaining the source from disparate
locations, unless they choose to ignore the possible repercussions.  I
think this constitutes a need in the community.

I am shocked that no one who can post to the legal-discuss list will.
The easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission has the
potential of large repercussions especially when we're talking about
software that is attempting to be the backbone of businesses.

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices)
> [...]
> > till now.
> >
> > - Jira isn't working.
> >
> > - The wiki could possibly work, but it doesn't go through the legal
> > process with each submission, and I cringe even thinking of trying
> > work with code in wiki. Eek.
> >
> > - Even using the wiki, to catalog which jira issues are "in play"
> is
> > unwieldy. Patch nightmare actually.
> >
> > David, can you think of way to make a space in this community where
> the
> > new/non-polished committers can easily share and play together with
> > their ideas where they won't hurt the bigger project until the
> > components are well proven?
> >
> > Would it work to have a sandbox that is managed by the existing
> > committers, or perhaps a few new committers? As a committer, you
> > wouldn't need to give nearly the same amount of time and attention
> > trying to make sure the commitment met best practices, free of
> bugs,
> > etc. Any developer could share their stuff that they've implemented
> for
> > their business, or other neat components. And, since the
> commitments
> > would be in svn on the other side of the "Donate to the Apache
> > Foundation legal radio button, it'd be easy for these developers to
> > collaborate and slowly bring unworkable buggy messes into gold.
> Finally,
> > users could easily find and try the components without mucking with
> > patch files, etc.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 00:45 -0700, David E. Jones wrote:
> >> Okay, I just wrote a huge thing and deleted it. There might have
> been
> >> good stuff in there, but I am really frustrated because I've said
> it
> >> all before and based on the comments from Chris it doesn't seem
> like
> >> anything it making it out there.
> >>
> >> If you're not a lawyer, then reference documents and processes
> >> already established.
> >>
> >> I'm not even going to bother going into detail unless people are
> >> willing to:
> >>
> >> 1. describe their understanding of how what they want to do would
> be
> >> done under current policy
> >> 2. describe why that doesn't work for what you want to do
> >> 3. describe how the existing processes need to changed in order to
>
> >> accommodate it
> >>
> >> A sandbox is a BAD BAD BAD BAD IDEA. Like you mentioned Daniel it
>
> >> would create a huge mess. I'm afraid one of two things would
> happen:
> >>
> >> 1. nothing
> >> 2. a lot
> >>
> >> In the case of number 1 it's not worth the effort to set it up. In
>
> >> the case of #2 it would required more effort to administer and
> >> monitor than we have resources for in OFBiz. There is no way I'd
=== message truncated ===