BJ Freeman wrote:
> there is a sql ability in the webtools
> so I am sure that can be implemented in code.

That is not the same thing.  That does a *raw* query to jdbc.

What I am talking about, is having the delegator parse the sql string,
do all mappings(entityname -> table name, field name -> column name,
etc), and then do the query.

This would even work for views.  For example:

SELECT * FROM PartyContactWithPurpose;

That would be auto-converted to the appropriate real sql code on the
back end.  You could also write sql code that does a join inline:

SELECT
        a.partyId, a.partyTypeId,
        b.firstName, b.lastName,
        c.groupName
FROM
        Party a LEFT JOIN Person b USING (partyId)
        LEFT JOIN PartyGroup c USING (partyId)
;