Hi  ,

I strongly feel we should.

For me, multi-tenency is the key feature in supporting more number of
organisations
with a single instance of Java/tomcat. Think of running 20  under-utilized
OFBiz instances
each *locking* up say 1GB ram versus 1 multi-tenant OFBiz instance
allocated with a
copious amount of RAM say 4-8GB ram.

a dozens or maybe even few hundreds tenants, after it begin to be a lot of
> DBs!

I would want to understand for whom does it becomes a *lot* of DB ?
In case it is about persistent connections to 100s' of distinct uris (ie.
host+user+db combination)
from the JDBC pool, we can offload the connection pooling feature to an
external
pooler , (eg: pgpool or pgbouncer , in case of postgreSQL) , and convert
the connection
mode from persistent to non-persistent at the tomcat level . So a *new*
connection is made
on a HTTP request and disconnected as soon as the request is served.
in oracle we have:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/appdev.111/b28395/oci09adv.htm#LNOCI87721
in postgreSQL:
https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/56559/postgresql-high-availability-scalability-using-haproxy-and-pgbouncer
In case it is the sheer number of db connections i feel users can come up
with their own
architectures suiting their environment.

(disclaimer: I am not expert in tomcat but i am trying to draw parallels
with other application servers)

And its not only a matter of resource sharing only, deploying  a new client
on a multi tenant OFBiz
instance is 10 times simpler than creating a new instance and configuring a
new OFBiz instance
itself ( discounting the factor or chef/puppet /salt/ansible/your favorite
automation tool) .

I feel It will be a big loss unless an equivalent feature is found out ,
the equivalent  IMHO is multi-tenant feature itself without the warts :-).

@Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>  there is also:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-10284 for which i had worked on
a patch.

my 2 cents