If such a thing were created, and to avoid the stated problem, all
configuration would have to go into the configuration UI.
on the other hand, the counter to the conflicting configuration
changes is simple... if you provide a UI, those who like the UI, will
tend to use it exclusively, while those who don't won't.  You could
also just allow it to generate the XML, and then let someone manually
merge them into the config files....
I for one would like an easier way to setup the Chart of Accounts at
the very least.  And map an organization to accounts in the chart of
accounts.

--
James A Barrows