Like BJ, I had also created my own configurator.

As for David's point about deployment management and version control (of config files), I would agree with Jim Barrows. Those who use the UI configurator would use it exclusively, and have someone in charge of documenting all the switches required for a particular deployment. Those who use SVN to version control the switches will have similar documents for the switches, but the documentation would exist in non-UI form.

How I use my configurator is like this. I first use it to configure all switches (written to file, no storage of settings or configuration flow in database). I then version control all the config files. Each time I use the configurator to change something, I commit the changes switches into SVN.

Jonathon

Adrian Crum wrote:
Marco's recent work in Jira brought this issue to my attention:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-636.

I would like to start working on that feature. Since that issue was created, comments have been made in other discussions on the mailing list that may have an impact on the implementation.

The idea is to have a system configuration screen. David mentioned recently in an unrelated topic that having a UI for system-level configuration would be undesirable:

"If you have a config UI it makes it even more difficult to manage because if someone changes something in the UI and someone else writing code makes a corresponding configuration in the file system, when the data is reloaded you might end up with a change loss problem... and that's only one scenario."

At the same time, we do get requests for a configuration UI.

So I'd like to work on this, but there is already a disagreement over whether it should be done.

Any ideas on how I should proceed? Does anyone see a need for such a feature?