David E Jones wrote:

On Dec 13, 2007, at 9:22 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

Marco's recent work in Jira brought this issue to my attention:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-636.

I would like to start working on that feature. Since that issue was created, comments have been made in other discussions on the mailing list that may have an impact on the implementation.

The idea is to have a system configuration screen. David mentioned recently in an unrelated topic that having a UI for system-level configuration would be undesirable:

"If you have a config UI it makes it even more difficult to manage because if someone changes something in the UI and someone else writing code makes a corresponding configuration in the file system, when the data is reloaded you might end up with a change loss problem... and that's only one scenario."

At the same time, we do get requests for a configuration UI.

So I'd like to work on this, but there is already a disagreement over whether it should be done.

Any ideas on how I should proceed? Does anyone see a need for such a feature?

You have taken my comments out of context. Some things should be configurable through the UI, others should not. My point is that things which are creating along with code or that are managed as part of a coordinated deployment (like server settings and such that vary in different deployment environments, like dev, test, qa, staging, production, etc, including app server and database and such settings) should NOT be in a UI, partly for the reasons in my comment above.

Business level things most certainly SHOULD be configurable in the UI and make sense to put in the database. That was the other part of what I wrote that isn't quoted above, including examples of what constitutes business versus system level settings. Above are some things about system level settings, and a strong example of business level settings is the payment.properties file, and things in other places like shipping configuration and such.

It's not a question of if, and I never said it was, in fact I tried to make it very clear that it's a question of what and where.

-David

I'm sorry you feel you were misquoted. I thought I made it clear (notice my qualifiers "system configuration" and "system-level") that the configuration screen being proposed was for the very things you said should not be configured through the UI. Business level configuration is another subject - and many of those screens already exist.

My thinking is more along the lines of someone downloading and installing a binary release version - who might not be sophisticated enough to dig through multiple *.properties and *.xml files to configure the installation. A configuration UI would be helpful in that scenario. (Not everyone wants to download and install Eclipse just to get OFBiz set up. ;-) )

I agree with your view - having two paths to file modification can lead to problems. The question is, how can we maintain configuration file integrity and still make it easier for a newcomer to configure their system? And, in a small shop/single administrator setting, is it even an issue?