Actually, this has been discussed in the past several times.

Some people in the community view OFBiz as an application framework that consultants or integrators deploy for their clients.

Others see the possibility of OFBiz becoming an off-the-shelf software program. The specialpurpose folder is there to help facilitate that kind of development. (By the way, our company uses the Asset Maintenance component OOTB.)

In addition, there have been requests to make OFBiz less "geeky" - hence the
release effort.

So, it all depends on who you ask.

-Adrian

Walter Vaughan wrote:

Adrian Crum wrote:

At the same time, we do get requests for a configuration UI.
Any ideas on how I should proceed? Does anyone see a need for such a feature?

Methinks the discussion should first be"the direction of OFBiz":
is it to be a OOTB solution with a small basic need for customization (but the ability to be highly customized) or a ERP framework designed for consultants to customize for specific client needs?

Let the debate begin... I've set followups to the user-list...

At the end of the day it can't be both... or at least really good at both.
--
Walter