From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Hi Marek,

On Jul 2, 2008, at 3:58 PM, Marek Mosiewicz wrote:

Currently VAT/Tax sales switch is based on showPricesWithVatTax in
productStore. But in fact it should be based on taxAuthority
table.  There is the place where we could know if it is VAT or not. It would
be also important in purchase order where there is
no need for store.

Marek

This subject is interesting and has been discussed a few times in  these lists,
but I think that there is some confusion around
this  subject.

The product store flag you mention is not mandatory for VAT taxes: I  mean that
using a VAT tax doesn't mean that you want to show
your  product's prices with VAT included (this is only true for some
retailers).

Yes, but it's true that in some countries (like France) if you sell to public
(B2C vs B2B) you must show your prices with VAT
included (actually with all taxes included). So in some cases it's a must
have...

Also there starts to be some environmental taxes for some kind of products (electronic for instance) too. It's verys specific and nothing is yet needed to be shown but an explanation about those taxes. I think this will become more and more present, everywhere...

Jacques

So, I'd suggest to ignore that flag for now; IMO the best way to  distinguish
vat taxes from sales taxes is thru the  is thru the
TaxAuthorityRateType: we should add a new entry there for "VAT taxes"