On Dec 8, 2009, at 3:16 AM, Hans Bakker wrote:

> For every new function I introduce there is a lot of opposition always
> by the same people which sometimes gives me the feeling that simply
> reasons are found to block my contributions. Perhaps the main problem
> here is that i put business reasons much higher than technical reasons
> and most people here are technical.

I don't know if this has anything to do with business versus technical. Giving
feedback always involves pointing out things that could be (or sometimes need
to be) improved. None of us are perfect, but it's easy to forget that, and we
should always assume that no matter what we put together and how well we do it
the thing can be improved by the review and feedback from others. I've found
this to be true 100% of the time. Said plainly, OFBiz would not be where it is
and the framework and other things would not be nearly as good without
significant community feedback.

To be honest the general tendency for people to resist feedback and dislike the
person giving it is why I don't do it as much any more. I got really tired of
people attacking me, accusing me of mal intent and all sorts of nasty things,
and also most likely making enemies at a time when I need people to collaborate
with and I need paying work (I can't liquidate assets forever...).

If we all want to collaborate more, we need be a lot less sensitive in this
way, and a lot more appreciative of feedback. On the flip side, we also need to
give feedback in ways that sticks to the point and stays detailed instead of
vaguely mentioning something and then dropping into personal attacks
(unfortunately ad hominem logic works on most people, but it is never truly
effective).

In short, we all have a lot room for improvement in the collaboration area. If
anyone is tempted to attack someone personally, just don't... start writing
about details of the problem instead and focus on effective communication and
collaboration. If anyone is temped to interpret something written as a personal
attack, just don't... look for or ask for details and focus on effective
communication and collaboration.