On Mar 8, 2010, at 10:45 AM, Hans Bakker wrote:

> It would also be interesting to know what the opinion of our new PMC
> chair Jacopo is, he is awfully quiet. When we do not agree, he has to
> take a decision.

We should all immediately stop to throw out in this public list incorrect
statements about fictitious rules and policies: it is not a great example of
professionalism as committers and PMC members if we clearly demonstrate that we
don't even take the time to read the few small pages that describe how things
in the Apache Software Foundation actually work, and also pretend to know how
things are supposed to work.

A mandatory reading is this:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

Of course we should all already have studied it in great detail, but this is
clearly and sadly untrue.

Since I start to loose my faith that you will ready this, here is a small part
of it:

===================================
The PMC as a whole is the entity that controls the project, nobody else.
The Chair of a Project Management Committee (PMC) is appointed by the Board
from the PMC Members. The PMC as a whole is the entity that controls and leads
the project. The Chair is the interface between the Board and the Project.
===================================

You want me to take decisions to resolve this fight? It is easy to resolve, but
it doesn't require me becoming a dictator. The ASF voting policies already
clearly explain what needs to be done:

Votes on code modifications follow a different model. In this scenario, a
negative vote constitutes a veto, which cannot be overridden.

Since this incident was originated by your commit, and since Scott is a PMC
member whose vote is binding and since he clearly objected to your commit...
you should now know what you *had* to do.
That was easy, wasn't it? Just a matter of reading rules that you should have
read when you became a PMC member, a lot of time ago.

Kind regards,