Scott Gray wrote:
> Well it all really comes down to the question of who gets to define the
> structure of the content, is it OFBiz or is it the CMS?
>
> If it is OFBiz, then will other CMS' be able to consume that structure or
> will we be left trying to write our own?
>
> If it is the CMS, then in order to support more than one CMS, OFBiz would
> need some sort of mapping mechanism to provide OFBiz developers with a
> consistent structure to work with.
>
> But as I said earlier, I really don't have enough knowledge at the moment
> about any of this and will need to do more research before I can say anything
> that isn't based on guesses and hunches.  It would be nice if others
> interested in this did some as well.

Any CMS integrated with OFBiz will need to link content items to
products, parties, workflows and so on that exist outside of the CMS
model. In that sense, OFBiz must define the content model because the
root of the content is the OFBiz datamodel and not the other way around.

The question is whether the CMS model that is used to control content
related to the OFBiz data model should be the same CMS that is used to
manage blogs, forums, wikis and other useful goodies. To me, the prime
mover in these categories quickly becomes the code controlling the
content rather than the data structures because the data structures are
fairly simple. Looking at JSR-283 based solutions, one does not see
anything even close in terms of popularity to systems such as Wordpress,
Drupal or even Roller.

With regard to the JSR-286, I think its a maze of confusion and a dead
technology. This article sort of sums it up
http://today.java.net/article/2009/01/16/jsr-286-edge-irrelevance.
Google Gadgets has as much or more these days and yet its adoption is by
no means assured.

If we really want to switch to JSR-283 as our content interface then I
guess the first sensible step would be a JSR-283 adapter on top of the
current CMS so that new and old content apps can exist side by side.
Once all the existing code is migrated to use the JSR-283 interfaces we
could switch out the underlying provider. This would have the added
advantage of being able to publish OFBiz legacy content into a JSR-283
environment. Of course, we would still have to work out how to provide
ECAs on this new technology and take care of all the other details that
the current framework gives us.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
e...@brainfood.com