Scott Gray wrote:
> Hi Jacopo,
>
> I have to admit to not being a big fan of the primary* pattern, for example
> in the Shipment entity I really feel it has done nothing except cause us to
> take shortcuts when writing shipping logic.  In terms of an Agreement or even
> a Shipment, what does it actually mean to be the primary?
>
> I understand its usage in Product.primaryProductCategoryId, where it can be
> used in cases where you need to be able to inspect a hierarchy rather than a
> graph e.g. for reporting purposes, but it makes less sense to me for those
> other entities.
>
> Could we not for now just limit the UI and logic to only handle a single
> agreement, but allow for the many-to-many in the data model?

My vote is to not add a primaryFoo field, but use a joined entity,
with an appropriate Purpose attached.

Once you have code that can look up the joined entity with a purpose,
adding more logic to handle other purposes is easy.

But having a primaryFoo in the base entity means you have duplicate
code for dealing with the same info.