Hi Jacques et al,

there are no real options, IMHO, jQuery is the way to go.

jQuery, like it or not, is now a somewhat established 'standard', allowing
corporations to hire consultants and coders for. Additionally, the existing
Dojo/Prototype/Scriptalicious codebase is a _mess_ and a lot of work to clean
up. Sascha did very good work, also the backend seems much faster with jQuery.

I think that a good fact/opinion collection already has happened on the mailing
list, so that a decision can be made. Please prevent whatever happened that
prohibited not actually releasing 10.04 until today.

I suggest that, based on the input so far, the three top committers come to a
unanimous conclusion and decide where to go and all follow in line. I
understand that a lot of people have a stake in OfBiz, but for the sake of
advancement of the project I strongly believe that a clear and quick decision
is necessary, even when it breaks functionality.

The outcome will outweigh the momentary pain.

Greetings & have a nice weekend,

 - Karl

On 03.12.2010, at 11:47, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> IMO, there are 2 options for releasing branch(es).
>
> * Only one which will be later the official release. The problem is then
> whether people want to have Dojo/Prototype or jQuery in
> this new release branch.
>
> * Two branches, one which which will be later the official release and one
> which will not be officially released. I would consider
> it
> as a fork since it would have Dojo/Prototype when the official will have
> later jQuery. Maybe fork is not really appropriate, but I
> think you get my point.
>
> We could also make 2 official releases. One with Dojo/Prototype and another
> with jQuery. I'm not quite sure switching from
> Dojo/Prototype to jQuery requires a specific release...
>
> Other opinions, ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jacques
>
> Bruno Busco wrote:
>> Why you think that making a new release branch would create a fork?
>> It will be managed as we manage R10.04 and R9.04 right now.
>> Only bug fixes will be backported.
>>
>> -Bruno

>>> Yes, that's what I have proposed. With another option: to have a branch.
>>> But I think the later is more a fork and I prefer the 1st.
>>>

>>> Oh and +1 on merging in JQuery.  I am all for consolidating/simplifying
>>>>

>>> I think we now all agree on that
>>>
>>> Jacques
>>>

>>> Ryan L. Foster

Lusini GmbH
Karl Pitrich, Chief Technology Officer
Adams-Lehmann-Straße 109, 80797 München

Telefon       +49 89 416170 113
Telefax      +49 89 416170 190
E-Mail       karl.pitr...@lusini.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft: München,  HRB 188366
Amtsgericht München, Geschäftsführer: Markus Bohl
USt IdNr. DE 270565360, Steuernr. 152/131/90056