Jacques,

inline:

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:07 AM, Jacques Le Roux
<jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com> wrote:
> Hi Mansour,
>

> From: "Mansour Al Akeel" <mansour.alak...@gmail.com>
>>
>> Jacques,
>>
>> We use RTL.
>> May be you are right about the the ease of use to find an item, but
>> the user who has permission to all these functionality is an admin,
>> and normally, she is comfortable finding any item quickly. The rest of
>> the uses don't have that much items and menus shown.
>

> This makes sense for a deployment, not OOTB. It's IMO easier to select Flat
> Grey, if you prefer, for your deployments and to keep
> Tomahawk as OOTB default for the reasons I explained and others I add below.

Yes, this will work. So you are offering a fancier theme for the demo
purposes, targeting new comers,
and developers, can make a copy of FlatGray and customize it. Sound good.

>> I know, other themes may look better, or fancier, but most users use
>> flat gray to base their work on and extend/customize it, because it's
>> easier and cleaner. I am not sure if bigger organization prefer
>> fancier look and feel over cleaner. And to be honest, I think flat
>> gray looks more professional than others. Therefore, it give a
>> positive first impression, when demonstrated.
>>
>> Additional themes may still exist beside FlatGray, but I recommend to
>> make it the default one.
>

> What makes you think "most users use flat gray to base their work" ?

Sorry, I didn't express it properly. I meant most user based on my
experience. I have two developers, I worked with,
extend flat gray, and customize it as they need. This is not a number
that can be a base for a statistical study,
and generalize it. It's only my limited experience. Sorry for the confusion.

> Could you define "easier and cleaner", and why Flat Grey is easier and
> cleaner (besides that it's the only one that is RTL which I
> understand for you is a must have)

Cleaner and easier in terms of usage:
The menu is at the top, showing all the available item, makes it easy
to see what I need in case I navigated to the wrong section, or need
another
section. Nothing hidden. In fact even as a demo, it has some positive effect.

and Cleaner and easier in terms of development:
Flat Gray code is not cluttered. (that is how I feel).

> What makes you think Flat Grey looks more professionnal? For me Flat Gray
> has not enough contrast. In other words all looks
> grey/pale and it's difficult to spot things.

I work more with enterprise portals than with ERPs. From what I have
seen, portal severs default theme is mostly light,
with darker high light. And I find FlatGray closer to them than
Tomahawk theme is.

For example:
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/
and:
http://www.liferay.com/products/liferay-portal/overview

After all, It is not that hard for a developer to change the style of
OFBiz themes to reflect the colors she likes.

> With Tomahawk I quickly spot buttons, links, etc. because there is more
> contrast. Maybe it's
> If you read me, it's not about being fancier but ergonomic which is for me
> the only priority for the community to use OFBiz OOTB
> (contrary to deployments)

It's the opposite to me. I find it easier to spot things using
FlatGray. But again not a big deal.

> Also I'd like to know why Flat Grey is the only Theme being marked as being
> Sight-Impaired Accessible? Adrian? I remember I began to
> add <<title="Skip navigation" accesskey="2>> (which is really only a
> small/poor beginnng) but that's for all themes. What is
> specific to Flat Grey?
>

> The only things I could concede:
> 1. Like 1 to 5% of the male population (women are rarely touched) I'm
> daltonian (kind of sight-impaired ;o) so my vision about
> contrast is maybe biased
> 2. Maybe, because it uses a blackboard background style rather than a white
> paper style, Tomahawk is more arduous for eyes on a long
> term (hours of work)

Yes. I can see this, and I agree.

> Thanks for sharing your opinion :o)
>
> Jacques

Finally, it's a personal preference.
However, I like to keep FlatGray. Doesn't have to be the default,
Unless demos in RTL needed.

Thank you.

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-to-right#Directionality). Which does