Thanks for the interesting thread.
It would be nice to share some ideas here about the end result and then
evaluate feasibility and proceed with implementation.

Here is my wish list:
* all the most common configuration parameters should be set into *one* central
file (xml or properties, I don't care), ideally located somewhere under the
runtime folder (e.g. runtime/config)
* an ant task (executed when the system is built) propagates the parameters to
the relevant configuration files under framework
* it should still be possible to edit the files directly (as we do now) without
using the central file: this could be useful for complex setup (multiple
service pools etc...)

Jacopo