On Mar 22, 2015, at 6:27 PM, Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
wrote:

> I tried to begin a discussion on this subject few times, notably at
> http://markmail.org/message/lgqhdtotwhfebqmw
>
> But nothing happened, so I think the best is to start a vote. I see 2
> questions hence 2 votes, I don't think it's necessary to start 2 threads
> because these 2 questions are closely related.
> So please vote for both questions, the ballot will last a week to allow
> everybody to have a chance to cast a vote.
>
> You can refer to https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html if you need
> information on how to vote. I suggest we only use
>
> +1 = I'm for
> +0 = not sure
> -1 = I'm against
>
> 1) Do you agree to reintroduce the evicted specialpurpose components in
> R13.07?

-1
as I mentioned in the past, I may be in favor of adding them back to the
release branch in order to simplify maintenance of bug fix backporting to the
parties interested; however there are a few conditions that in my opinion we
need to address:
* the components should be all disabled by default (at least in the release
branches): in fact the specialpurpose components are allowed to override
standard entities, services, screens, data with use-case (industry, vertical)
specific information; the release branches should deliver by default the
universal/generic artifacts and all the other stuff should be optional
* some of them are old and not maintained and I think that it is odd to add
them to the stabilized branch and then discuss if we want to remove them from
trunk and branches
* there are components that have issues (that can include license concerns
and/or vulnerabilities): better to leave them out from release branches
* in my opinion it should be better to discuss how to release more than one
product rather than a monolithic one

Because of all these factors, since you are asking for an all or nothing vote,
I have to cast a -1.

> Notes:
> The question is not about which components should and should not, it's all or
> nothing. Choosing component to put to Attic should be done in trunk as we did
> with appserver recently.
> I proposed 2 ways for doing that in the thread linked above, depending on the
> result of this vote this will be or not a new question (or might be discussed
> again if the vote is positive)
>
> The 2nd is of more importance since it concerns future releases
> 2) Do you agree to reintroduce the evicted specialpurpose components in
> future R13.07 releases?

-1
One important aspect that you didn't mention in this call to vote is: in the
spirit of ASF voting, the persons that will vote +1 are stating that they are
offering their help in supporting *all* the components in terms of license
concerns, vulnerabilities that may be reported on published releases (that
undergo a series of audits by external parties); this is why I think that
calling a vote for all components is a bad idea (a person interested in
supporting component X will have to promise help for all of them, even the old
ones with known issues).

> Note: Jacopo already started a thread about it at
> http://markmail.org/message/vwyuaokuzcj44z6w that's why I decided to ask for
> a vote to clearly and definitively close this chapter with the help of the
> community. Personally I will be happy with the solutions the community will
> come with.
>
> The current situation (all but ecommerce component evicted from
> specialpurpose in R13.07 branch and releases) comes from a lazy consensus (no
> formal vote) but weirdly now both questions concern a code modification so
> can be vetoed.

Jacques, you are doing some confusion: this is not a vote about a commit, and
my negative votes are not vetos.

Jacopo