-1 for the same reasons as Jacopo.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

On 3/24/2015 9:10 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

On Mar 22, 2015, at 6:27 PM, Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
wrote:

I tried to begin a discussion on this subject few times, notably at
http://markmail.org/message/lgqhdtotwhfebqmw

But nothing happened, so I think the best is to start a vote. I see 2 questions
hence 2 votes, I don't think it's necessary to start 2 threads because these 2
questions are closely related.
So please vote for both questions, the ballot will last a week to allow
everybody to have a chance to cast a vote.

You can refer to https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html if you need
information on how to vote. I suggest we only use

+1 = I'm for
+0 = not sure
-1 = I'm against

1) Do you agree to reintroduce the evicted specialpurpose components in R13.07?

-1
as I mentioned in the past, I may be in favor of adding them back to the
release branch in order to simplify maintenance of bug fix backporting to the
parties interested; however there are a few conditions that in my opinion we
need to address:
* the components should be all disabled by default (at least in the release
branches): in fact the specialpurpose components are allowed to override
standard entities, services, screens, data with use-case (industry, vertical)
specific information; the release branches should deliver by default the
universal/generic artifacts and all the other stuff should be optional
* some of them are old and not maintained and I think that it is odd to add
them to the stabilized branch and then discuss if we want to remove them from
trunk and branches
* there are components that have issues (that can include license concerns
and/or vulnerabilities): better to leave them out from release branches
* in my opinion it should be better to discuss how to release more than one
product rather than a monolithic one

Because of all these factors, since you are asking for an all or nothing vote,
I have to cast a -1.

Notes:
The question is not about which components should and should not, it's all or
nothing. Choosing component to put to Attic should be done in trunk as we did
with appserver recently.
I proposed 2 ways for doing that in the thread linked above, depending on the
result of this vote this will be or not a new question (or might be discussed
again if the vote is positive)

The 2nd is of more importance since it concerns future releases
2) Do you agree to reintroduce the evicted specialpurpose components in future
R13.07 releases?

-1
One important aspect that you didn't mention in this call to vote is: in the
spirit of ASF voting, the persons that will vote +1 are stating that they are
offering their help in supporting *all* the components in terms of license
concerns, vulnerabilities that may be reported on published releases (that
undergo a series of audits by external parties); this is why I think that
calling a vote for all components is a bad idea (a person interested in
supporting component X will have to promise help for all of them, even the old
ones with known issues).

Note: Jacopo already started a thread about it at
http://markmail.org/message/vwyuaokuzcj44z6w that's why I decided to ask for a
vote to clearly and definitively close this chapter with the help of the
community. Personally I will be happy with the solutions the community will
come with.

The current situation (all but ecommerce component evicted from specialpurpose
in R13.07 branch and releases) comes from a lazy consensus (no formal vote) but
weirdly now both questions concern a code modification so can be vetoed.

Jacques, you are doing some confusion: this is not a vote about a commit, and
my negative votes are not vetos.

Jacopo

Note that the second question is not about releasing or not. So it's not a vote
on releasing a package, it's rather a preamble to future R13.07 package
releases.

Thanks for your attention and please vote!