I am not a lawyer and Apache's legal team should be approached before we embark on a plan that involves the use of a third party tool that does not have an Apache license or a license that is known to be compatible with inclusion in an Apache product.

At the moment, from my reading of the source that Jacques found, it would not be possible to release a Moqui-based framework under an Apache license. Moqui is in a no-man's land where your right to use it depends on what country you are in and unless you are the owner, it is not clear how your can redistribute it internationally. If we write a layer to go between Moqui and the OFBiz components to replace the framework, users would have to decide if they could legally run Moqui and would have to go get it on their own and install it separately.

For the moment my preference would be to focus on getting the current framework into a separate sub-project, clean up the current dependency issues, document it and release it as a separate deliverable with an Apache license and its own roadmap and "marketing" plan.

That is based on assertions from knowledgeable people in this project that it is valuable on its own for others who want to develop other sorts of business applications.

Even if Moqui is a better framework technically, the Apache license would make the Apache OFBiz Framework a more desirable product for an organization wanting to invest in creating an application.

Ron