On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 3:00 AM, seba.wag...@gmail.com
<seba.wag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a flag in the mail notification to turn of diff's in those emails.
> So theoretically those emails don't have to include not even code fragments
> of GPL licensed code.
> So those emails could become what they initially should have been: Some
> simple notification of activity.
>
> We are actually also not interested in what exactly has changed or archiving
> external activities.
> If anybody is interested in those projects he can catch up with those
> involved there.
>
> All we are interested is a "heads up" there is something going on as we
> provide integration APIs that 3th parties are using.
>
> There are also a number of more 3th party projects that send those pings.
> Basically all projects hosted at apache-extras.org are configured to send a
> ping to our list when there was a SVN commit.
> http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/search?q=openmeetings
>
> It is argueable if an Apache developer list is the right place to have such
> a "news aggregator" for activities around OpenMeetings.
> There might be easy ways to resolve such a conflict. Possibly for example a
> Google Group Mailing list. "openmeetings-apache-extras" or something like
> that. It does in fact not make a difference, just another mailing list to
> monitor :)
> It is just a bit an imaginary line that we draw here from my point of view.
>
> Sebastian
>

> 2013/3/21 Jim Jagielski <j...@apache.org>
>>
>> IMO, it's inappropriate content for a dev@ list, which is
>> a place to *discuss* development, not an "archive" for
>> external development, legal issues notwithstanding.
>>
>> On Mar 20, 2013, at 7:16 AM, Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>>
>> > I would be uncomfortable as well. If project members want to follow
>> > external projects that's great, but duplicating all of an external
>> > project's
>> > messages onto the public dev@ list is... not a best practice, to say the
>> > least.
>> >
>> > Personally, I'd have to presume (for the average user) that everything
>> > coming from that other GPL licensed project is GPL.  Thus, this seems to
>> > violate the principle of least surprise and the fact that GPL is Category
>> > X,
>> > which means that end users should be able to use Apache projects and
>> > products without having to worry that GPL code is included - either in the
>> > download, or in other places on our websites or mailing lists.
>> >
>> > - Shane

We have had a similar discussion in the ComDev related to Apache
Extras [1], and the consensus at that time was that external projects,
particular the ones that are not compatible with AL2, should be
managed separately, which means that we should not encourage PMCs to
have their official mailing lists receiving e-mails from other
non-Apache GPL projects. If individuals are interested on what's going
on with external projects, they should subscribe to these projects
mailing list as an individual.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/community-dev/201209.mbox/%3CCALvzYd-h4Q%3DcTEgGqCNEEninhVose8uiGt2gTK22n9cMr_kVyg%40mail.gmail.com%3E

--
Luciano Resende