> Da: janI

>>  From a licensing perspective the MWiki content is a can of worms.
>>  This may or may not be important as this is not included in releases
>>  but the general consensus was to keep the MWiki content contained
>>  and only accept ALv2 content from now on.
>>

> We should have put our ALv2 license in place long time ago, there is a
> separate policy page for that. That has not happened and therefore all
> content is totally without any license (except of course those that have
> explecitly written something). Please do not mix the mediawiki license with
> the contents license.

The MediaWiki software license is not a problem, just like the CWiki license
is not a problem.

We do have licensing issues with the content of both the wiki and the website.
If you check the lengthy discussion we had about it you will find that the
documentation is mostly licensed under PDL. As I said it's a can of worms,
but it doesn't mean we won't have to open it.

> As far as I can judge (but I am no expert) mwiki provides more facilities
> than cwiki in respect of graphics, and in the discussion (see earlier mail
> thread) everybody seemed convinced that mwiki was the future and cwiki was
> old (I cannot judge those statements).

Absolutely.  MediaWiki is superior to CWiki,

>>  There is also a huge -1 in the current MWiki for me: if MWiki is
>>  here to stay ldap access must be enabled so that committers
>>  have access to it without opening a new account.
>>
> I cannot agree more about ldap access...but I actually had the same problem
> with cwiki, we are not all committers !!
>
> When I consider the user base is about 6.200 (after spam removal) and only
> a small fraction are committers, I would place ldap as important, but a
> reason for a -1.

It limits my ability to contribute to the MediaWiki content as it seems the wiki
is unconnected to the rest of Apache. I think it's something that can be solved:
my understanding is that accepting LDAP doesn't exclude volunteers from using
the existing authentication accounts.

It's a -1 for me but I am not saying it's binding.

Pedro.