2013/1/11 Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Rob Weir wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm reading FUD, from the usual misinformed suspects ... I
> >>
> >> can certainly sympathize with leaders of communities that can only be
> >> held together by irrational fears.  It is not easy to maintain that
> >> peak level of paranoia.
> >

> > Your personal opinions on the people involved (I admit I have very little
> > context, I only had the time to read the discussion here but nothing
> else so
> > far) are best kept separated from the important fact, that is that
> > apparently incorrect information is being circulated about the benefits
> that
> > the Symphony donation is bringing to OpenOffice and to the
> free/open-source
> > software world in general.
> >

> >> Anyone who cares to look can
> >> see that we've actually integrated quite a but of Symphony code into
> >> the AOO trunk already.   For example, the following 167 bug fixes
> >

> > People don't care to look, unfortunately... But I definitely agree that
> this
> > listing is impressive, as it is this page:
> >
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Fidelity_Improvement_Since_AOO341
> >
> > If you manage to co-author a blog post with Shenfeng Liu (or someone else
> > from the former Symphony team) about the integrated fixes/features, this
> > will be an important service to the OpenOffice users. But please, let's
> do
> > it because it's important in itself and because it's clearly overdue
> (aside
> > from a brief mention in the "top 10 questions" posts), not because
> someone
> > feels the need to address some particular wrong or misleading claim.
> >

> Clarifying the facts where misinformation is being spread is part of
> the necessary communications that any project needs to engage in.  We
> saw that as a podling, when the ASF itself addressed misinformation
> regarding this project.  Now this is our responsibility.
>
> Of course, misinformation about insubstantial matters is best ignored.
>  But where misinformation is propagated about substantial project
> operations, then that is sufficient motivation for the contents and
> timing of a post to correct such misinformation.
>
> In any case, pointing out the lie on this list already gives 90% of
> the benefit, since such FUD cannot survive the light of day.  A blog
> post is unnecessary.

IMHO, we can consider a blog post about our progress on the 4.0 release,
including the contents we are working on, e.g. fidelity,
performance&reliability, accessibility, usability, enhanced platform
support... Symphony's contribution is part of this story.
If we decided to post it, I'd like to be the co-author.
Thanks!

- Shenfeng (Simon)