On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 15:44:38 +0100
RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/2/10 Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
>
> > Le 10/02/2013 00:43, Rob Weir a écrit :
> >
> >  Spreadsheets are used by businessmen and not only mathematicians.
> >>

> > I think that very few mathematicians use AOO at all.
> > Even in the industry (in which I work for almost 15 years), MS Excel is
> > not used to perform high level calculations. Even the nice charts we can
> > see from complex tests are in fact exports from dedicated software that
> > just give the numbers and let MS Excel draw the chart with all the bells
> > and whistles needed (secondary grid, axis, legends, ...).
> > Real calculation is made with specific applications, often developed by
> > the companies to be sure they master the process.
>

> +1. I remember a conference (I'm physicist) on which one person presented
> charts made with excel. One of the senior scientist on the audience then
> said "you are masochist, don't you?"
>
> Regards
> Ricardo

My thinking is the Calc should return the mathematically correct answer.
Consider a parallel case: suppose some other widely used spreadsheet was to
define Pi as 3 (following the Indiana Pi Bill, bill #246 of the 1897 sitting of
the Indiana General Assembly), ar to say that 2+2=5, should Calc follow?  No,
we should be correct; it is open to anyone who doesn't like this to use another
application.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>