I'd recommend that we take this discussion to the dev list...

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Samer Mansour <samer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kadal,
>
> That is not a sustainable or scalable solution, not all volunteers have
> time to create separate pages for over 60+ languages, we also don't have
> the administrative power to support all those pages created.
>
> Which ever solution we do implement, you and other translators will be able
> to edit the translation directly from the CMS to correct grammatical
> errors.  No need to manually create more pages or forked assets.
>
> If we go with Google's you'll be able to feed google with better
> translations and improve their service for your community.
> If we go with Pootle we potentially would be able to host more languages
> than Google can offer.
> This is the trade off between the two services.  Both would require some
> coding on my part, so its negligible.  But both solutions scale.

It might be worth considering the kinds of maintenance (at the content
level) that we should think about when designing a new solution:

1) Supporting a new language and creating a new language-specific subsite.

2) Propagating a project wide change across all language subsites and
requiring translation, e,g., a project-wide announcement on the home
page or a new release that needs to be noted on the download page.

3) Announcements for only a single language page, e.g., announcement
of a local user conference in Spain

4) Editing of additional pages that are specific for a given language,
e.g., description of  bidi/RTL features for Arabic, links to French
support forum.

I think 1 and 2 above could be handled well with Pootle.  That way the
translators who already translate the AOO UI and help files could also
translate the website pages using the same tools.

The challenge is to find a way to do the customizations of points 3
and 4.   But note that these are not translations, but content
authored originally in the native language.  Maybe something in the
page generation from the template can discover the existence of
additional pages and automatically add them to the navigation?

-Rob