On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in relation to our budget planning I asked myself if OpenOffice has any
> impact on the donations to the ASF? Well I don't know and we can
> probably figure this out but the question is what can we do ti collect
> more donations and use our brand more effective.
>
> When I look on our main website I found a tiny donation link in the
> footer only. From my point of view this is not good enough and we should
> think how we can improve it.
>
> I can think of a much more prominent and more visible donation link or
> whatever to make clear that OpenOffice will still benefit from donations
> to the ASF. We have more IT requirements than other ASF projects, we
> generate more network traffic, etc. and all this cost money.
>
> Furthermore I can think of a blog post to promote this in some way and
> do a public call for donation. We should of course do this more often
> with any public announcement.
>
> And opinions or further ideas how we can improve this? It shouldn't be a
> big problem for us to collect the money we need.

I generally like the idea, and it would be easy to implement.  But we
should check with appropriate ASF officers (treasurer?) or committees to
make sure this would work, and to see if there are any rules we must follow
with regards to solicitations.   For example, it isn't clear to me whether
we're equipped to handle many small donations, or whether the ASF mainly
works with large corporate donations.  It could be an administrative
problem to get thousands of 20 euro donations if they need to be processed
manually, for example.

-Rob