On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 25 April 2013 21:00, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

>> fair of

>> confidence to
>> future.

>> 3
>> fix

>> for a

>> according

>> steps

>> 100%
>> believe
>> and

>> here?
>> trim
>> whether
>> solid

>> 4.0

>> > This is important to me.
>> >

>> Those who are actually doing this work also think it is important.
>> Otherwise they would not be doing it.  But it is not part of the 4.0
>> plan that we've been executing on.

>> the
>> >>
>> > to me this is nice to have, but does not afftect end-users.

>> > Is ready in approx. 1 week.

>> > This is to a must for 4.0, we cannot change brand with 4.01
>> >

>> And that's why we're working on the logo survey now, after collecting
>> 40 proposals.  We'll certainly have a new logo and splash screen for
>> 4.0.  But currently no one at all is working on branding changes
>> beyond that. at least no work that is on the lists,   Items that no
>> one is working on will not happen not matter how much time we wait.

>> from

>> > Are we really withholding any major features...when I compare the
>> codebases
>> > I cannot really see it, but I might be wrong.
>> >

>> Yes, many, many interop fixes.  100 or so were listed on the blog awhile
>> ago:
>>
>> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/merging_lotus_symphony_allegro_moderato
>>
> that is still maintenance items...no big features. a change to 4.0 is not
> just due to interop fixes.

And you seem to be suggesting delaying the release because of a
documentation issue ?!  But again, this is code that someone wrote
versus work that is not actually happening.  I don't think we delay
the real stuff because you wish that someone else was doing something
that isn't being done.

>> > This is a maintenence release, which could have been done in 3.4.1, and
>> > still can be done as 3.4.2.
>> >

>> We could have done many things in the past.  But the plan we agreed on
>> was to do these things for AOO 4.0.
>>

> One of them was the sidebar, and to me that includes documentation and
> online help.

I think you need to be far more specific about your concern.  In fact,
please enter a BZ for what you think is lacking.  We can triage that
along with the other bugs.  There a keyword in BZ for suggesting
something is  "stop ship" bug and in the past we seek consensus on
that designation on the dev list.   But I just tried AOO 4.0 and when
I hit F1 when in the side panel I get the online help. When I am in a
specific panel I get help for the specific panel.  So if there is
something huge lacking here, please write it up in BZ so we're all
talking about the same thing.

>> > Please remember 4.0 is a major release.
>> >

>> Only if we release it.  Otherwise it is nothing.

>> > That work is first of all only in the very beginning (see mails from
>> jürgen
>> > regarding po files), and it is not lost in any way.
>> >

>> Glad to hear it.  When it is ready we'll include it in a release.
>>
>> It is reasonable to discuss and balance between these two interests:
>>
>> a) Those who have already completed work they committed to doing for
>> the release.
>>
>> and
>>
>> b) Those who have not yet completed the work they committed to doing
>> and are asking for a delay.
>>
>> We can have that discussion and work something out.
>>
>> On the other hand I give very little weight to:
>>
>> c) Those who are not doing work, but only wish that someone else does
>> work, work not part of the agreed-upon plan, and wish to delay the
>> release until someone else does the work
>>
>> I hope you understand why it is not reasonable to give much weight to
>> c).   The passive voice "X should be done" carries zero weight around
>> here.  The active voice "I want to do X" is much better.
>>

> No actually I dont...I hear you say just because I am not capable of making
> online help myself, I cannot have an opinion of whether or not it is
> important.

Opinions are free.  I would not wish to deprive anyone of their opinions.

> I care a lot about the full products, even though I am not capable of
> developing large parts of it...I assume I could say the same about you and
> at the same time I think both of us have opinions on many aspects of AOO.
>
> I think a lot of people have invested lots of time in preparing the 4.0
> release (I know I have only done little pieces), and it would be a shame to
> release the 4.0 highlight feature amputated.

Again, if you think something is missing in 4.0, enter a defect in BZ on it.

Thanks!

-Rob