On Jun 11, 2013, at 4:57 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> pick a
>>> schedules

>>> that

>>> promotion

>>> at the

>>> blog) and
>>> it's

>>> what

>>> blog.
>>>>

>>> I went ahead and did this.  Easily reversible if we don't like it.
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>

>> Well...I would have preferred calling it something else besides "News"
>> because now I think it's confused/associated with the left "News" items.
>>

> Oh, good point.
>
>> When Andrea brought this up, I guess I was thinking he wanted actual Blog
>> headlines listed/highlighted, but maybe the top nav bar is good if we come
>> up with something a bit more "catchy".  But...I got nothin. :/
>>

> The problem we have (and maybe this is not a problem but just a
> different form of success) is that the blog is now updated quite
> frequently, but the stories on the home page never seem to change.  So
> if you want news then the best place to go is the blog.
>
> I wonder what would happen if we moved to a single column design with
> no stories on the right, but just the current menu items, but centered
> on the screen?  That might work better on small devices as well.

Small boxes push the new div below the buttons div.

> Or, figure out how to get the news column to trigger off of the RSS
> feed of the blog, like the ASF homepage does.  We discussed this once,
> but never completely figured it out.

The way to figure this out is to study how www.apache.org does this and emulate
it. We then setup the main page to republish itself every hour. We need Infra's
help for that.

> But short term, calling it "Blog" would be OK?

Yes - and I would not have it be the leftmost topnav element. I would make it
third or fourth - on either side of "Support".

Regards,
Dave