On 30-Nov-2013, at 17:15, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 30-Nov-2013, at 16:56, Alphonso Whitfield III <awhitfi...@vital-inet.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Good points Louis., thanks. but we still need a "maven" or two to crack the
>>> larger corporate environment.
>>
>> Done that, in previous instance of my role at OOo. It's not easy and does
>> require persistence. Then, I was also salaried by Sun/Oracle, though my hot
>> efforts on behalf of the community as such were sometimes met with cool
>> water.
>>
>> But I do not think the tactics of yore are the ones to pursue now.
>>

> Keep in mind that corporate successes are not necessarily
> publicly-known.  I can say from first-hand knowledge that we're
> getting a good reaction to IBM's recently-announced service offering
> for AOO.  But these corporations are unlikely to issue a press release
> announcing this fact.  This is different from public agencies where
> their choices are a matter of public record.

Yes. I know. I was many times asked to itemize which companies were using OOo.
I could have cited several. But to a corporate lawyer, they insisted that to
speak of their usage was to speak my last public sentence..

>> I think that emphasizing, as I did, QA, innovation, and mobile options, as
>> well as the robust community that is reality based, is more important.
>>

> 1+
>
> We're in a very different time than say, 2002, when open source was a
> new concept to many companies.  The question is no longer, "Should we
> use open source?" but "How should we use open source?".  We already
> won that first war, making open source a legitimate option.  What
> remains is a more conventional kind of technology use decision, which
> considers price, of course, but also features, interop, migration,
> training, etc., costs.
>
> In any case, the thing to keep in mind is that we are in no way
> diminished if someone decides to use LibreOffice.   We should feel
> good whenever anyone uses our code, whether in the original Apache
> OpenOffice or whether in the winPenPack verison, the BSD port, the
> OS/2 port, the Solaris port or in LibreOffice fork.  It is all good.

+1.

> -Rob

Cheers,
Louis

>> Louis
>>>
>>> Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan
>>> with The Vital Portal
>>>
>>> Alphonso Whitfield
>>> i...@thevitalportal.com
>>> Vital
>>> 912-816-2595
>>> Skype: vital.i.net
>>>
>>> Visit us at:
>>> The Vital Portal
>>>
>>> The Vital Portal On facebook
>>>
>>> Visit our Google Community
>>>
>>> Join our Vital Portal Webinars at:
>>> The Vital Portal WebEx Meeting Center .
>>>

>>> From: "Louis Suárez-Potts" <lui...@gmail.com>

>>> users. Download numbers indicate, usually, individual users. These are